Use of extracts from books and scientific articles in compendiums

Excerpts from Kopinor's regulations for compendium content. You can read more on Kopinor's website (questions can be addressed to Åse Maudal).

"The copying agreement gives the right to copy from all published material, both Norwegian and foreign, such as books, journals, periodicals, newspapers, etc. and content from the Internet. Each compendium can contain:

From books: Up to 15% of the total number of pages in the book. Book excerpts must be registered in Kopinor's system BOLK. The department librarian makes the actual registration. If you have any questions, contact your on-site librarian.

From notes (single notes and collections of single notes): Up to 15%, but a maximum of 10 pages from each individual publication, however up to a full rate or similar for theory teaching.

Self-produced or foreign text and the like cannot be illustrated with photographs, drawings etc. copied from published publications when original illustrations can be easily obtained from illustrator, image archives, etc."


Pictures and art

BONO and the Universities and University Colleges Council (UHR) have entered into an agreement that facilitates internal, digital use of images in teaching. Kristiania University College has a framework agreement with BONO. The agreement gives the educational institution the right to digital use of visual works by the Norwegian and foreign artists BONO represents. More information can be found at DelRett.


Why do you need a license? According to the Copyright Act (Copyright Act), viewing videos and DVDs is restricted to private home use. If you want to show a film in other contexts, permission must be obtained from the owner of the Film's copyright before the screening takes place. Note that the film work must have been obtained legally!

Here are some useful points to know regarding film viewing, as well as TV and radio viewing 

  • Films from YouTube: YouTube videos that are played directly from the internet will usually be fine to both view and link to (but note: not if it is to obviously illegal sources, such as Popcorn Time. Refer for example to this article about Popcorn Time from Aftenposten )
  • Excerpts from feature films:  Film clips that are used to illustrate a point in the teaching or are used as a starting point for discussion in class are regarded legal use according to the citation rule (Copyright Act §22, which allows quoting from a published work in accordance with good practice and to the extent the purpose requires). Remember complete source information.
  • Entire feature films: Kristiania University College is now allowed to show entire feature films due to the agreement with MPLC. Note that this applies to films made by producers that are covered by the agreement.  A list of film producers that are part of the agreement can be found here. Documentaries etc. can thus be shown in classes without having to obtain prior permission, but cannot be posted on the learning platform. The agreement also provides an opportunity to show films in social contexts at school, under the auspices of students or staff. According to the agreement, no entrance fee shall be charged.

Refer also to what says about the use of film 

TV and radio

  • Recording of programmes: Kristiania University College's agreement with Norwaco allows the recording and use of audio and video programmes from a number of channels (not TV2). Refer to HK's agreement with Norwaco for an overview of the channels included. The recordings can be posted on the learning platform, but not on open web pages.
  • Programmes on the Internet, posted by the copyright holder, can be used freely by linking directly. Always remember to state where the material is taken from. Note that it should often be limited how long the programmes are available, and that it is possible to secure permission (cf. Norwaco agreement).
  • NRK Nett-tv: It is not automatically allowed to show material from NRK Nett-tv in teaching. It is possible to purchase the relevant episode from an AV centre and have material sent on CD. This must be covered by your department. If you need to view clips or entire TV series and feature films, contact Åse Maudal.

For more information about what kind of material and from which resources can be used freely, refer to the overview on the Creative Commons website.

For inquiries and questions about copyright, contact Åse Maudal.